We have recently started offering a domain, website and email services to our virtual office customers and I was looking for an easy way to help customers set up their email in Outlook. What I have discovered is that this is quite simple using a feature in Outlook Express as an intermediate step.
What I do for users is:
1) I set up their account details in Outlook Express and check it works.
2) In the Accounts section of Outlook Express there is an export feature so use that to create a file of the settings.
3) Get this file to the user, if they have an alternative email address email it to them that way, or let them download it in some way.
4) The user saves the file in “My Documents”.
5) The user opens Outlook Express. In Accounts, choose Import and select the file.
6) Once Outlook Express is running it can be closed.
7) Open Outlook. Under File, choose Export & Import. Select “Import Internet Mail Account” settings.
8) Outlook should detect the account settings and allow the user to step through the settings. The only thing they should need to do is set the password which is not done automatically for security reasons.
9) Hey presto, Outlook is configured.